May 6, 2016
While the expansive document Amoris Laetitia is well worth reading closely and reflecting upon, these quotes can also encourage and challenge us in our faith, our family life, and our understanding of marital vocation.
1. "The Joy of Love experienced by families is also the Joy of the Church."
2. "The couple that loves and begets life is a true, living icon – not an idol like those of stone or gold prohibited by the Decalogue – capable of revealing God the Creator and Saviour. "
3. "The triune God is a communion of love, and the family is its living reflection."
4. "The word of God is not a series of abstract ideas but rather a source of comfort and companionship for every family that experiences difficulties or suffering."
5. "It is clear from the very first pages of the Bible that work is an essential part of human dignity; "
6. "The family is called to join in daily prayer, to read the word of God and to share in Eucharistic communion, and thus to grow in love and become ever more fully a temple in which the Spirit dwells."
7. "Like Mary, they are asked to face their family’s challenges with courage and serenity, in good times and bad, and to keep in their heart the great things which God has done."
8. "Freedom of choice makes it possible to plan our lives and to make the most of ourselves. Yet if this freedom lacks noble goals or personal discipline, it degenerates into an inability to give oneself generously to others. "
9. "In and among families, the Gospel message should always resound; "
10. "Our teaching on marriage and the family cannot fail to be inspired and transformed by this message of love and tenderness; otherwise, it becomes nothing more than the defense of a dry and lifeless doctrine."
11. "The mystery of the Christian family can be fully understood only in the light of the Father’s infinite love revealed in Christ, who gave himself up for our sake and who continues to dwell in our midst."
12. "God’s indulgent love always accompanies our human journey; through grace, it heals and transforms hardened hearts, leading them back to the begin- ning through the way of the cross."
13. "God showed the fullness of his love for humanity by becoming one with us."
14. "The Church is a family of families, constantly enriched by the lives of all those domestic churches."
15. "The experience of love in families is a perennial source of strength for the life of the Church."