The Visitation of Our Lady Catholic Church
Visitation of Our Lady Parish is located in Marrero, Louisiana on the West Bank of the Mississippi River across from New Orleans.
The parish that is now Visitation of Our Lady began in 1942 as a mission church to Immaculate Conception in Marrero. As the congregation outgrew a series of temporary churches, the building that is now the school cafeteria was dedicated as Visitation of Our Lady Church in 1963 under the leadership of founding pastor Fr. Paul Richard. Fr. Richard served Visitation until his death in 1983.
The School Sisters of Notre Dame came to serve at the newly opened Visitation of Our Lady School in 1965 and remained an integral part of the faculty until 1986. Fr. Mark Lomax, then associate pastor, became pastor upon the death of Fr. Richard. He served until Fr. Joseph Tranchina's arrival in 1983. Fr. Tranchina served until the appointment of Fr. Richard Maughan in 1985. Fr. Maughan was able to complete the vision of Fr. Richard by organizing and bringing to fruition the building of the present church in 1988.
Fr. Michael Fraser replaced Fr. Maughan in 1995. Parochial Vicar Fr. William Reed came to Visitation in 2002. Fr. Michael Kettenring joined Visitation in 2004 to assume the administration of the parish. He has served and led the community since.